The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Saturday, April 26, 2008

ORP: Pynchon & others

In yet another pile of books slowly being read through, we have the novels of Thomas Pynchon; I've just begun my drift through the ethereal story of "V". I am doing all these reading projects, besides being addicted to reading, for the purpose of subjective and some objective analysis of the modern novel. For the current adult generation of modern American literate audience at least, the novel is the best way to 'show' ideas, reflections, observation, people, places, etc. The graphic novel or anime may be the way to tell stories to an audience of the coming generation, but for now I think, the standard good novel (whatever that is) is the way to proceed viz writing for entertainment.

The style of "V" for me is strange, but I like how smoothly the characters and their dialog is done. For comparison, I may also read other 20th century novelists such as Bellow and Singer to see how their 'voice' represents American culture and how this compares with what Pynchon is doing.

Well, if I learn anything I'll drop a few lines here.

No comments: