The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Friday, October 17, 2008

The Sin of Entertainment: The second game of Civ4 in 1.5 years.






The lighter areas are my empire and the cities with either green or pink circles in front of their names are my cities.

2 comments:

Stu ι™Άζ˜Žη€š said...

Wow, second game in one and a half years? I think that is excessive. =] I was playing about a game a week on my Mac, but decided that was taking up valuable time that I should use studying and replaced OSX with Kubuntu. I am aware of Free-Civ, which I will probably play at some point when I can't take it anymore and need to conquer the world. My last game was at Warlord level (I almost always play at noble) because some co-workers were playing at that level and I had to show off my awesome skilz. (I hope this comes across as humor) Anyway, I totally dominated, eliminating 5 or 6 civs and terrorizing my opponents by massive nuclear retaliations if full tribute wasn't levied. (Note to self, never accept an emperor of the world job). Ending with a space victory in about 1940's.

I often ruminate on my evil tendencies while playing that game. I have only attempted diplomatic victories a few times and generally tend to attack with little provocation. (this might be a sign that I need help, because I would like to think of myself as one striving for world peace and an end to all war but put Civ in front of me and I turn into hitler).

Mad Russian the Natural Philosopher said...

You've hit upon a salient fact: that all humans inherit the sin nature--maybe we aren't greater sinners because we've not been given the opportunity.

I don't often play the game as it really pisses off my wife (please excuse the cruder language but it best describes her visceral hatred of someone enjoying themselves on the computer too much).