The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Thursday, April 02, 2009

ORP & Personal Update: Reading W. Gibson's newer novel

Wednesday, I had to spend an entire day in bureaucratic hell trying to get my badge renewed so that I could go to work that night. Read Joseph Heller's "Catch 22", apply it to paperwork and you will get the idea of what I went through. So when I realized my Customs seal wasn't going to be ready right away, I went to Half-price books at lunch and found a cheaper copy of William Gibson's '06 book, "Spook Country". This is an entertaining story involving espionage-type intelligence, the arts community, and cutting edge technology involving wireless, GPS, & virtual reality.

I mention all this because as I started plowing into the novel, I had a greater appreciation for the artist characters in the story since I have my own artist character in my household in the person of my son, Sam the artist.

I've just started the novel, but so far it's a good read. All my other reading projects are going on; Les Misérables is about half-way complete and as I have mentioned I am reading Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" to the family. We are almost finished with the "Love Dare" book, and the second of Andrée Seu's collection of her writings from World Magazine. When Jane gets back from her three week trip to Anchorage in June we'll get into some summer family reading projects and I'll post any interesting observations here in the blog. Also I have been listening to an Audible.com download of Ayn Rand's "We the Living"; it is more excellent than I expected and ties in nicely with the Dostoevsky that I was reading earlier in the academic year. I am going to get a text copy of the novel and I expect to be posting on that novel as well.

I have been focusing much of my self-study on literature since I still don't have the funding to continue my own education, but I have always enjoyed reading. In late April a bunch of us guys are going to Linux Fest in Bellingham, so I may get back into a few more technical posts.

Well, I'm trying to think positive and hope our nation doesn't dissolve into tyranny or chaos as the Obamanistas continue their power grab. My prayer for all Americans is that we will not lose our freedom, but of course the moral behavior of America doesn't give me any expectation that we will even deserve mercy. I advise all to flee to the protection of God.

No comments: