The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

W: LP: GRP: JK: On the Road and other novels

Jack Kerouac: Road Novels 1957-1960Jack Kerouac: Road Novels 1957-1960 by Jack Kerouac

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

08/17/2011 Update:

I liked "Lonesome Traveler" as much as "On the Road", and in fact the last section of Lonesome Traveler, "The Vanishing American Hobo", portrays the tightening noose of anti-liberty in America starting at the fringes. Today the noose is so tight that we are starting to choke. You couldn't have Walt Whitman today (he'd be arrested) unless he was on a government grant and had papers to prove it. Anyway the collection is worth reading for completeness.

jri.

08/12/2011 Post:

I'm finally getting back to this collection. I find that, except for "On the Road", I have to be in the right mood to read Kerouac. Just finished "The Subterraneans". I think Kerouac's 'stream-of-consciousness' writing is more accessible than James Joyce's, but of course each writer is unique. These two writers, together with Thomas Pynchon, constitute my periodic immersion in what I categorize as post-modern writing. I'll probably add Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" to the mix eventually for the full trip. All-in-all, however, I like the poetic-ness of Kerouac better. This type of literature is not good to hold up as an example of how to write, but it is entertaining and often times the subjects addressed in the fictions are worth contemplating.



Novo Visum,

Neue Ansicht.



View all my reviews

No comments: