The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Friday, March 14, 2008

ORP: PKD & General

At another time I'll try to give a more cogent commentary on specific works, but for now I'll just mention that I'm almost done reading four novels by Philip K. Dick. They are: "The Man In The High Tower", "The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch", "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?", and "Ubik". This author's strange thinking has influenced me more than I realized. I had, years ago, read the first of these four novels and some other works by this author. Now in rereading the one and reading some new novels, I have realized that some of my ways of thinking and writing parallel this author.

Edit (20080317):
Completed these four novels on Saturday. I won't have time write anything about these works, so I am just internalizing some of the hallmarks of PKD's writing, to wit: realistic characterization, perceptive reality, psycho-philosophical ruminations, etc.

So now that I am making a conscious effort to analyze what I am reading, it will be interesting what will start happening as I begin again to write stories.

Neue Ansicht
Novo Visum

No comments: