The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Personal Update

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun."


For a few days now, I have had a little opportunity to think of the implications of reaching the age of 45. I had hoped to retire from my trade at the age of 56 so that I might for few years try to redeem the time and accomplish something. Today I awoke to the news that certain powers that be are busily undermining the trust which holds the wealth to pay my pension and there is a chance that the early retirement option may be eliminated. I will now have to work until 65 and statistics show that most electricians only live another two years or less after retiring at this age. It's like being under a prison sentence that is long but will some day end, and then to awaken to the slam of the gavel and the pronouncement of a life sentence. There will be no parole and I will come to the end of my life and I will have accomplished nothing.

"Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines..."

3 comments:

Mark said...

I am furious at those who would put you in this situation. It isn't right.

On the other hand, I've met you and your family and I think you are being less than truthful to speak of accomplishing nothing. You're doing more than you know.

Mark said...

If you quit early, do you at least get the pension when you turn 65?

Mad Russian the Natural Philosopher said...

Mark,

Thanks for the kind words.

Originally, the early retirement meant that you retired any time before age 65 and you would get a slightly reduced pension and the union would provide medical coverage from age 62 to 65 when medicare kicks in. Some guys whose wives worked and had medical would retire at 55 or 56. In my case I was going to just adopt a healthy lifestyle, buy catastrophic health insurance, take my chances and retire at 56. The idea was that one had a few years longer to live to do other things. (My goals were to finish my college degree and go to New St. Andrews for the MA in Trinitarian Studies, and maybe do some teaching and writing.)

Anyway, I must put my hopes in heaven (its just that I didn't want to find myself under judgment for not using all my talents and I enjoy learning).

Lord willing...