The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Friday, September 05, 2008

Personal Update: Home Project & Work

So, I used up the last of my PTO (paid time off) to take the 28th, 29th, & 30th of August off (these were the last three work days before Labor Day weekend). I'll post pictures later, and I will explain why I am going to be sparse in the number of entries over the next few weeks. We wanted to repair the siding on our house on the Southwest & South side of the house (the side that gets all the weather--sun, wind, rain, etc.), so we removed the siding (T1-11) and replaced it with 'oriented-strand' board siding ($20 per sheet vs. $35 per sheet for T1-11). Everything went well until we got to the last 3/4ths of the South side where we discovered that the contractor that built the house had not put on any backing or vapor barrier on the outside wall. We opened the wall and saw just 2x4 studs and insulation, so we had to buy twelve sheets of treated 1/4 inch plywood and then install the vapor barrier before we could side. So we finally finished siding the house and got everything ready to paint by Saturday evening just before the sunlight ran out. I had to break the sabbath and spray-paint the house after morning church service. But after all the hard work, we got to relax at our Labor Day church picnic. Tuesday (Sept. 2nd), I took down the masking, and finally laid down for a nap to get ready to go to work that night and just as I laid down I got a call from work to come in early so I got a 2.5 hour nap and went in to work early. I've been working twelve hour shifts from that night through tonight and through the weekend and into next week. The blessing is that the extra money will make all my creditors happy (& the gov't.--a la taxes).
I have more to post on Brothers Karamazov and other subjects once all the work slows down to a mere eight hour day. At least Sea-Tac Airport will have all the runway lights on new regulators in the new lighting vault.

So another time it will be...
Novo Visum
Neue Ansicht

Gute nacht everyone.

PS Sam just celebrated his 16th birthday!

1 comment:

Mark said...

16! Wow. And I'm incredibly impressed with you work. Way to go.