The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Friday, February 27, 2009

ORP: TP: Gravity's Rainbow, part "n"

Haven't had much time to read this novel, but I knocked off a few more pages and I have to say that I am disappointed with Thomas Pynchon. There is material in this novel that is profoundly obscene. I think one could (I won't, but...) use a restrained amount of borderline material and still get across the cesspool-like nature of the average human. I will still continue on with the book for the sake of examining post-modern novel writing in detail, and TP has some brilliant passages. It is a shame when someone so excellent in the skill of writing pours out material that is unworthy of their talent.

Update: After a little consideration, I have decided to shelve this book until after Lent and Easter. So the only literary work I'll be likely to mine any loftiness & beauty from will be the on-going tome that is Les Misérables.

No comments: