The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Theology (the Prince of the Sciences): Credenda: Federal Vision 001

I am entering the discussion of "Federal Vision" with great trepidation. From brief data scans of the blogosphere, it appears that much more heat has been generated than light. So I have to set aside my reading of literature to deal with the issue. Therefore, to begin my study of the controversy, I am reading the book, Federal Vision, ed. by Steve Wilkins & Duane Garner (ISBN 0-9753914-0-2). This book is a collection of essays by various modern Reformed Christian theologians and ministers on various topics of theology from the bible as they relate to the Reformed tradition. I am also reading the wikipedia article on Federal Vision mainly for the bibliography.

It is ironic that one of the things, the primacy of reason over emotion, that has drawn me to this tradition within Christianity is sadly lacking in many pundits and pillars of the church. I hope to avoid this by studying directly the essays of the proponents of what is broad stroked the Federal Vision and then comparing their positions with Scripture. I have only just begun, but from what I have read thus far, there is no reason to "freak & peak". I just don't understand the ridiculous visceral emotional reaction of otherwise reasonable men; what a sad day for a small branch of Christianity that cannot afford to be divisive.

So, I will post a few observations of my study of this topic when I have time. And then hopefully we can get back to some more wholesome topics like the literature of the English language, etc.

Novo Visum
Neue Ansicht

No comments: