The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Saturday, January 03, 2009

ORP: KW Jeter's Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human

I am back to work through the New Year calender click-over, so I don't have time to write up a decent analysis of this novel. But I had to quote a line from about 84% into the book:
Just my luck, he thought glumly. When things started going bad for you, they went on that way for a long time. That was the real nature of the universe.
Though I am glad to have a job in our declining economy (and if I keep it, more so, as unenjoyment levels reach 10% by the end of '09), and to quote the well known song,
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
, I had a difficult week. First Sam (my son) pulls a real boner, legally speaking, (which I won't divulge in the event that some future corporate employer for him does a background check including all blogs and biographical related data). Then I have challenges at work every night this week that leave me exhausted. One day everything is going relatively well and then the next day you awake to find that (metaphorically speaking) everything "turns to s#*t". And then it keeps on going and you wish that you hadn't slid over into another "f"ed up parallel universe. So the quote above shows me that I am, at least, not the only one to experience this phenomena.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Praying for you.

I am pretty close to a Jeter fan, btw. But I wasn't sure what to think of this book.

Stu ι™Άζ˜Žη€š said...

hey Jim and Fam,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I feel sometimes that I live in a house of cards that could easily come tumbling down.

I like that expression that they 'cant take the sky', and although I know from personal experience that they can, I understand the intent of the slogan.

I would say that they cant take your soul, what you have committed to memory might be going to far in light of recent tech advances but for the most part, at the moment they cant take your experiences, what you've read and how you feel inside, if this is any solace.

Remember that in dealing with Sam when hes past his rebellious years he will not remember your words or what you did but he will always remember how you made him feel.

I recently read Philip K Dick's book "a scanner darkly" and it took the whole book before I realized I was reading a masterpiece. In the authors notes he said 'we were all just having a good time, who could have known the price we'd pay' and other observations about how society ignores the root causes and treats the symptoms goes without saying.

latter, peace, everything is fine because its 09 hahaha.

Mad Russian the Natural Philosopher said...

I thank you both for your kind comments.

The book was a good page turner, and had some thought provoking moments, but not classic literature. However, I find that Jeter has a good feel for the use of English to describe a visual story; his writing is like watching a great action movie: fast, entertaining, and gratuitous. I think there is a place for this kind of writing--not every work has to be a profundity.

I am trying to deal with Sam in a compassionate way and encourage him into expressing himself in art in a form more likely to keep him from fighting the wrong battles with authority. Fortunately we have an excellent Youth Pastor now at our church who seems to really be able to reach the young people. I know I have to relax and know that God is doing a work, but I sometimes fret (and of course I can't see the end of it all yet).