The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Thursday, April 22, 2010

W: Copyright issues

I like the idea of no copyrights, but I have struggled to find a good idea on how a writer could be compensated for the enormous work they put into their works of art. So I'm always interested in discussions on this topic. I came across this interview of Ursula K. LeGuin (one of my favorite authors). I'd be curious to hear what others think of this interview.

2 comments:

Stu ι™Άζ˜Žη€š said...

"I find it ironic that the science fiction community is rallying against something which is so futuristic, the digitization of masses of books for online dissemination. Do you feel any personal conflict, as a writer of science fiction, between the desire to be part of the technological age and your role in protesting this?" Universe.

To paraphrase her response "profits"

In my opinion, and I subscribe to the viewpoint of the prophetRichard L Stallman in "Free as in
Freedom"
in which his views are freely available to read. =] So - the premise of his argument is that if you want to share something it shouldn't be a crime. Think of Google as allowing sharing on a grand scale. I am opposed to the current paradigm in thinking were we owe these persons for their work. People will buy her book if they want it on there bookshelf anyway. I plan on buying "the dispossessed" next Wednesday, if later I find an audio rip on TPB I will share that as well.

What these people don't understand is that we have achieved a renaissance in information with the Internet and like before the printing press when Bibles were chained to the pulpit, those days are over baby, so quit crying.

How ridiculous is it that "happy birthday" can't be sung in a public place because of this rampant intellectual property hubris?

I will conclude my rant with pointing out that these futurist can't accept the future and greed remains the predominant motive for their discontent.

Mad Russian the Natural Philosopher said...

I agree with you, but I'm trying to see how a writer could get paid for his/her work. Until copyright is done away with, I could see someone getting royalties WHILE THEY WERE ALIVE; after they die it should be free. Anyway I am just looking at the dialogue.