The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Saturday, April 24, 2010

W: ORP: DH & RC: small note

On my "A" stack of books to read (but further down) is a collection of Dashiell Hammett's novels (ISBN 978-1-88301167-3). Some elitists may not want to consider his writings as literature, but his contribution to 20th century culture is not to be undervalued. When I get to these novels, I'll try to make a few posts about them.

I am mentioning it now, because I just realized that he spent some time in Tacoma WA when he was trying to get treatment for tuberculosis. It's probably a sad connection to have, but on the other hand many in my fair city are fans of his writing (and likely I will be also once I start reading him).

And another much further down the "A" stack is Raymond Chandler (of the same genre as DH's stories)--more about him later.

Stay tuned.

No comments: