The Sublime & Beautiful vs. Reality

This blog is a record of one man's struggle to search for scientific, philosophical, and religious truth in the face of the limitations imposed on him by economics, psychology, and social conditioning; it is the philosophical outworking of everyday life in contrast to ideals and how it could have been.


-
The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God
and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.
--Johannes Kepler

___


|
--(:|:)--
|
|
___________________________________________

Thursday, April 15, 2010

W: LP: GRP: LH: Japan, a final note

After finishing the first part of Lafcadio Hearn's book, "Japan", called The Land, I began the second section called The People. LH does not disappoint, and in fact I found his writing about the people of Japan so fascinating that I just couldn't put the book down. There are so many good things in this section that if I started posting excerpts, I would end up posting the entire section. I just recommend that everyone read this book if you can.

This book made me become more interested in things about Japan that I want to keep reading similar works about the people and their history. But alas, I have not enough time and my stack of books is too high. For now I am going to move on to Yukio Mishima's "The Golden Pavilion"; the edition I have of this novel is in a collection of three novels by this writer and I had read the other two novels some time ago and put off reading this. I am finding that Goodreads is a helpful tool in causing me to finish up old reading projects so that I might tackle my current stack and then move on to other stacks I have waiting. And I had wanted to get this done not just to check off a list but because that writer was pretty good also. Then eventually I'll get back to the Russians and Ayn Rand. Eventually also I'll get back into some non-fiction. Anyway...

I wish everyone good reading...

No comments: